Rainy days are finally here and there is no better comfort food than a warm bowl of my grandmother’s chicken soup. Chicken sopas can be made from last night’s leftovers, just throw in extra vegetables and even herbs to make it a little different. The recipe we are posting here is the most basic Filipino sopas recipe with chicken, garlic, onions, carrots, potatoes, celery, cabbage, and macaroni noodles simmered in a rich broth.
This is a very common merienda food, and a popular feel-good soup for those feeling under the weather. Evaporated milk is often added at the end of cooking or served on the side. Top with chopped spring onions and serve hot.
Chicken SopasPrint Recipe
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/4 onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tablespoons celery, chopped
- 1/3 cup carrot, diced
- 1/3 cup potato, diced
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 125g elbow macaroni
- 1 piece chicken breast, boiled and diced
- ½ cup cabbage, shredded
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 can Evaporated milk
Sauté onion, garlic, and celery in oil.
Add carrot and potato.
Add chicken broth and bring to a boil.
Add pasta and lower heat to simmer. Cook for 10 minutes or until macaroni is al dente.
Add cabbage and fish sauce.
Season with salt and pepper according to taste.
Serve hot with evaporated milk on the side.
1. Just make sure to separate the soup from the noodles if you will be storing leftovers in the refrigerator overnight. This will keep the noodles from absorbing the soup. Combine and reheat then serve. 2. Try serving it with grated melting cheese!